<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Considerably Interesting Curricular Compendium

The home of Blerns & Sob

Visit Brins' friend

Friday, October 21, 2005
  Relics of the Past: Part One (About Brins)

I've been making 'RPG' games and variants for the sake of fun over the last few years. (Blerns & Sob, one of Rob and myself's greatest creations, have perhaps 5+ films programmed with the software we use.) And on this fun note, it's time for my Relics of the Past series, a nostalgic look back at some of my older projects at making games. Some old, some not so old. For the sake of not disclosing either Rob's or my identity (something I'm always careful about), some won't be mentioned here simply to avoid any details from leaking. So, let's begin with one of my very oldest.

Cleansed Part 1: Count Quinge!! (2002/3)

I think that many people like to talk about their work as having a lot of history, planning, and depth behind it. Well, here's one that doesn't. Whatever may be said about it, the plot had big plans, but everyone rightfully might think it's horrible.

It all boils down to a happy medieval time of some form, where Flarno and Kaple end up walking over to a house. To cut a short story shorter, Flarno wakes up one day and everyone in the village has turned into zombies. The mysterious quest begins to get to all the world's four large churches to seek help in stopping the spreading of the zombie crisis which seems to be following him everywhere. That's all we need to know for now, though just thinking about it gives me a happy feeling inside. I had plans, you see.

The original has no name, although it's referred to as 'Count Quinge!!' and 'Ol' Dracula his microphone' in folders and files; the 'Cleansed Part 1' bit was added on by me when I decided to remake it and add a sequel earlier this year (which probably won't get off the ground, though).

I have a lot of happy memories and nostalgia about this game, mainly because while I was making it, it felt like I was at the helm of a massive epic. I had real plans for this one, and, bad as it may seem to anyone else, I thought I was making something incredible. For me, anyway, because I've always felt incompetent at everything.

Perhaps the real reason I have such affections for this (completely nowhere near finished) thing is because it was made back at a time when I really wasn't being at all serious about making these games, yet I enchanted myself at the kind of world I was creating. It had towns, and a big map, and forests, and caves, and you could even go under the sea at one point. It might well be one of a kind from me, because this one got about as far as any non-Blerns & Sob project has with me.

I have great memories with this, and you'd be disappointed to ever play it. But, well, there you go. For your sakes, I won't ask you to, but besides that, you can't anyway. Bye!

STAY TUNED FOR NOTHING TO HAPPEN!

Alternatively, leave this blog for several days and something might come up. You never know! That's the miracle of something of another! Oh, why not see Rob instead? I hear he's got plans.


Brins' note: After reading this and playing the game to get those pictures, I've suddenly felt hearkened back to my childhood. Some of the music from this game comes from an old childhood enchantment of mine, Terranigma. I've just remembered how mystical my whole world felt, thanks to that game and many others like it. If you ask me, all these Japanese SNES RPGs really made an impression on my younger years. A way of looking at the world that perhaps few children have had the pleasure of having, I owe to these games. Sounds quite silly, but that's the way things tend to be, rightly enough. I rather miss that feeling.

Perhaps an essay on that one day... BRINS AWAY!!!

 

|

Brins would appreciate it if you didn't swear in your comments




<< Home

About

Brins' Profile

E-mail Brins

--------------------------------------

BROWSE CURRICULUM

April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
September 2006
March 2007


--------------------------------------

For School Pupils:

Working with UCAS - S6 University applicants

The truth of S6 - S6

Shock therapy - S5 and below

Revision Planning - S3 and up

--------------------------------------

LINKS

Rob on the net - Recommended by Brins

Talk to Rob - Chat with Robonthenet's Rob!

Walton Dell - Abandoned cottage in the woods

Omnicron RPG - free, downloadable game

--------------------------------------

Philosphers
(why is this bit still here?)

Plato

Descartes

Locke

Berkeley

--------------------------------------

Challenges:

Dr. Wily's Revenge

Brins' Identity

Pirate Phrase Bonanza

Hall Of Fame

*tumbleweed rolls by*

--------------------------------------

Site Feed

Comment system supplied by Haloscan

Site Meter

(Thanks also go to Air for the site meter, commenting system and customised archive)