<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Considerably Interesting Curricular Compendium

The home of Blerns & Sob

Visit Brins' friend

Sunday, May 08, 2005
  Tapeful Returns (Essay)

My trend for strange titles actually dates back to my old 'Adventures of J & Fra' comic strips I started drawing when I was 11, and continued to infinity (I don't draw them now, but I would. I just don't). Never one to be restrained by paper (you should read some of my Primary School stories, you really should), the strip became a safe haven from normalness and a happy trip into some person's mind, and one of the things I started doing early on was to randomly think up the most bizarre-yet-actually-logical title for episodes. I understood them because I knew what I was thinking when I wrote them; if you wanted to get it, it probably wouldn't be easy.

I'll tell you more about J & Fra someday. I'm here now to say that, being ill, I settled for watching some old video tapes for the past couple of mornings, and one of the ones I viewed was the Batman cartoon series of my youth (I think they've made some fancy futuristic one now, according to Rob) - to be precise, two episodes.

I never watched that show when I was young, but when it happened to be there in the background of my living room, I was always confused by what seemed to be the immenseness of complexity, darkness and indescribable depression that seemed to revolve around it. As Rob has told me before, I've always had a strange knack for finding something, which is actually quite simple, insanely complex. That's usually the case with novels, particularly ones we were forced to read years ago in English, though that might be because I skip-read them (My summary of 'Hill of the Red Fox': some English boy goes to stay with his Scottish cousins because he wants to be Scottish. Unfortunately, someone wants to kill him and it turns out that the Russians are trying to take over Scotland, as well as capture the boy and his cousins. That is my entire understanding of the novel).

Anyway, the show probably wasn't like that, but with the jagged clips I caught every so often, it made it seem like a massive, intricate story. This has nothing to do with what I wanted to say.

Batman always made himself out to look really tough; but from all my memories of the programme, he never once got the better of anybody in a fight of any form. He could arrest them, chase them, do anything; but if it ever came to a one-on-one brawl, it was curtains for him. This point is further emphasised by the insane difficulty of bosses on the SNES' 'Batman and Robin: The Animated Adventures' game. Why?! Why can't he actually overcome someone on his own for once?! Even on the video I saw, he never got anywhere by attacking someone; ever.

If someone can explain to me why Batman always turns out to be so weak in combat, please tell me.

As Rob said to me once, the simplest solution is the one which he never considers: 'Why doesn't he just shoot The Joker?'
 

|

Brins would appreciate it if you didn't swear in your comments




<< Home

About

Brins' Profile

E-mail Brins

--------------------------------------

BROWSE CURRICULUM

April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
September 2006
March 2007


--------------------------------------

For School Pupils:

Working with UCAS - S6 University applicants

The truth of S6 - S6

Shock therapy - S5 and below

Revision Planning - S3 and up

--------------------------------------

LINKS

Rob on the net - Recommended by Brins

Talk to Rob - Chat with Robonthenet's Rob!

Walton Dell - Abandoned cottage in the woods

Omnicron RPG - free, downloadable game

--------------------------------------

Philosphers
(why is this bit still here?)

Plato

Descartes

Locke

Berkeley

--------------------------------------

Challenges:

Dr. Wily's Revenge

Brins' Identity

Pirate Phrase Bonanza

Hall Of Fame

*tumbleweed rolls by*

--------------------------------------

Site Feed

Comment system supplied by Haloscan

Site Meter

(Thanks also go to Air for the site meter, commenting system and customised archive)