<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Considerably Interesting Curricular Compendium

The home of Blerns & Sob

Visit Brins' friend

Tuesday, April 12, 2005
  A Busy Brins (Essay)

I'm quite busy at the moment, what with the exams on the horizon and not too few important miscles to take care of. I'm now paying the price for getting a tad too complacent over the Easter holidays and largely ignoring a certain report.

I refuse to believe you've read the post I made way back about me having taken two fiercely academic subjects (Business Management and Advanced Physics) along with two allegedly 'simple', 'brainless' ones (Drama and Music).

I'm in a very interesting position, since such a combination is insanely rare. Not one soul from my Physics class has any form of involvement in drama or music (at least, not to my knowledge. They certainly haven't taken the subjects), so naturally some of them tend to view them with a common disdain. Drama, to quote a physics colleague, is 'a subject for people who don't know what to do with their lives', an 'excuse' not to take 'an actual subject'. Indeed, anyone who would be involved in it is a 'clueless idiot' who's never going to 'make it anywhere in life'.

These words probably sound very harsh, but sadly - to some small degree, at least; certainly not to the level of the last sentence up there - there is a ring of truth in them. There don't seem to be any beaming academics in Drama (not to say there aren't any, though). To take Music in 5th year, you have to drop Maths by default; a cruelly enforced choice in my view, but one that will nonetheless slice a class down the academia-line.

Mind you, though I don't hear them mention it, I'd bet that some students in these subjects are inverse snobs, laughing at the dullness and lack of creativity of those in their counterpart subjects; it's a class fued that's been going on for millenia.

But I've seen a share of both sides, and I can safely say that both sides have quite a bit to learn from each-other.

I'm no elitist; I'm never in any hurry to shove anyone into a class and be done with it. Many would look at the folks from either subject-preference and laugh at the concept of them crossing over; 'they're not suited for it', 'they can't do it', etc. Maybe that's true for some, but I just can't fathom why this would be the case.

It's nothing to do with what your interests are; I have no trouble with Physics or Maths, but I also have interests in Music and Drama. They're not classes, they're aspects of life which are no more unattached from one another than two ends of a sphere.

Furthermore, to the challenge that Drama isn't a real subject: I can safely say that Drama and Music, as subjects, are more difficult and involve considerably more effort to undertake than any academic subject (except English, perhaps). With Physics, there isn't any problem that can't be solved by looking over your book and learning the things in it; the same is true for Maths. Music and Drama? It doesn't work like that.

I'll finish this essay some other time; don't make comments yet, it needs to be edited.
 

|

Brins would appreciate it if you didn't swear in your comments




<< Home

About

Brins' Profile

E-mail Brins

--------------------------------------

BROWSE CURRICULUM

• April 2004
• May 2004
• June 2004
• July 2004
• August 2004
• September 2004
• October 2004
• November 2004
• December 2004
• January 2005
• February 2005
• March 2005
• April 2005
• May 2005
• June 2005
• July 2005
• August 2005
• September 2005
• October 2005
• November 2005
• December 2005
• January 2006
• February 2006
• March 2006
• April 2006
• May 2006
• June 2006
• September 2006
• March 2007
• June 2025


--------------------------------------

For School Pupils:

• Working with UCAS - S6 University applicants

• The truth of S6 - S6

• Shock therapy - S5 and below

• Revision Planning - S3 and up

--------------------------------------

LINKS

Rob on the net - Recommended by Brins

Talk to Rob - Chat with Robonthenet's Rob!

Walton Dell - Abandoned cottage in the woods

Omnicron RPG - free, downloadable game

--------------------------------------

Philosphers
(why is this bit still here?)

• Plato

• Descartes

• Locke

• Berkeley

--------------------------------------

Challenges:

• Dr. Wily's Revenge

• Brins' Identity

• Pirate Phrase Bonanza

Hall Of Fame

*tumbleweed rolls by*

--------------------------------------

Site Feed

Comment system supplied by Haloscan

Site Meter

(Thanks also go to Air for the site meter, commenting system and customised archive)