<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Considerably Interesting Curricular Compendium

The home of Blerns & Sob

Visit Brins' friend

Saturday, September 23, 2006
  Brins Back to School (Essay: School)

Some readers might know that I've written some posts about Scottish school tips. Even though I've left school now, I still concern myself with school pupils who I feel are bombarded with a colossal amount of pressure throughout school and don't seem to get the respect from teachers - and indeed society - that I'd say they deserve. I know from first-hand experience that teachers lie outright to pupils, sometimes dabbling in 'shock tactics', to get them to scramble to pass their exams, fill in some trivial form, or make them think something quite untrue about their future.

While most school-pupils perhaps aren't affected much by these things, I was to a fair degree, and I do feel that others are too. Since these pressures and schock tactics are likely to continue for who knows how long, I'd like to at least raise some awareness amongst pupils of the things they might be told in future, and how to react to it. Perhaps the teachers generally mean well, but for those children who scare easily, it's nice to know what to take with a pinch of salt.

Nobody reads these, of course, but maybe I'll publish my essays and BECOME FAMOUS!!

...Or not...

But anyway, I've decided to write another one. It's a bit more trivial, but still something interesting. It's 'The Great Exam Results Rush'.

That's right. Traditionally, the formula is this: From S4 upwards, exam results arrive at your house sometime during the summer holidays. When this happens, you might feel disappointed, happy, content, amazed, and/or countless other things about your results. After a day or two, you've hopefully processed what you've got in your mind, and accepted it.

But that's not the end - after term begins, for some weird reason, all your classmates feel obliged to harrass everyone they know about their results, thereby forcing everyone to remember them and get their marks broadcasted across the year. Oh, the shame! How cruel! The madness!

If you're one of the types who can't be bothered with this and just wants to avoid telling people, I have to say it seems the best thing to do probably is to tell someone. I used to just worm my way out of giving it in conversation, but this just made the requests for information even more frequent. I suspect that by telling classmates who 'get around' in the year group, perhaps they'll relay your results in passing to friends, thereby reducing the flurry of demands for grades on your part. Problem solved? I don't know if there is an easier solution than this, but my personal recommendation would be to go with it rather than refuse to talk. It seems to get the exam rush over faster.

Hey, this might sound petty to most people, but I think all school pupils know how annoying this exam result fever is. And right after a holiday, too! THE NERVE!!

As ever, blame the SQA! (It's always their fault - a topic for another day!)
 

|

Brins would appreciate it if you didn't swear in your comments




<< Home

About

Brins' Profile

E-mail Brins

--------------------------------------

BROWSE CURRICULUM

• April 2004
• May 2004
• June 2004
• July 2004
• August 2004
• September 2004
• October 2004
• November 2004
• December 2004
• January 2005
• February 2005
• March 2005
• April 2005
• May 2005
• June 2005
• July 2005
• August 2005
• September 2005
• October 2005
• November 2005
• December 2005
• January 2006
• February 2006
• March 2006
• April 2006
• May 2006
• June 2006
• September 2006
• March 2007
• June 2025


--------------------------------------

For School Pupils:

• Working with UCAS - S6 University applicants

• The truth of S6 - S6

• Shock therapy - S5 and below

• Revision Planning - S3 and up

--------------------------------------

LINKS

Rob on the net - Recommended by Brins

Talk to Rob - Chat with Robonthenet's Rob!

Walton Dell - Abandoned cottage in the woods

Omnicron RPG - free, downloadable game

--------------------------------------

Philosphers
(why is this bit still here?)

• Plato

• Descartes

• Locke

• Berkeley

--------------------------------------

Challenges:

• Dr. Wily's Revenge

• Brins' Identity

• Pirate Phrase Bonanza

Hall Of Fame

*tumbleweed rolls by*

--------------------------------------

Site Feed

Comment system supplied by Haloscan

Site Meter

(Thanks also go to Air for the site meter, commenting system and customised archive)