<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Considerably Interesting Curricular Compendium

The home of Blerns & Sob

Visit Brins' friend

Saturday, July 16, 2005
  Return of Brins (Brins Returns/School Essay)

Holidays are now over, so there's no excuse for getting back to work (assuming there is any, which there doesn't need to be). I am now going to deal with those old post titles of mine, and perhaps fix the Guide to Higher English essay later.

It occurred to me that a number of you might be wondering why it is that I've always written about school - things to be careful of/watch out for, and so on - despite having been near the end and now having left.

Well, the truth is, having approached (and now reached) the end of my whole school life, I've felt rather betrayed, or at least unsettled, at how quickly everyone seems to be happy to brush school aside as something for younger people, and that we're off to higher things. Before you say it, I fully understand that we don't have any reason to associate with school anymore; it's best not to dwell in the past, and the future/present is always the brightest place to be. The issue I have is how many people seem to have lost all empathy with younger children.

You see, when my friends and I were younger, we all knew of the banes and tortures of school; something which always saddened me then was the lack of appreciation we children received from adults for our plight. 'Surely they understand... they were us once!' I thought. To this day, and especially now, I am still upset at how few adults give children any credit for the difficulties they face and are forced to go through. I think the ethos is that 'it's over for us, so let them deal with it'.
I just can't let it go like this, however; it pains me to know that children all over are going through the things I did alone and confused, having no respect for doing so, and not realising how much the teachers say is fact and fiction...

...speaking of which, that's the second big reason I've written about school - having lived through school, I am shocked at the guiltless duplicity of (some of) the teachers in higher places: I say this in relation to secondary school particularly, where the of lies and exaggerations we were fed in assemblies were seriously uncalled for, some potentially traumatising to those concerned for their schooling and future (like I was). This could be justified with the excuse of 'keeping pupils on their toes' - giving them a light scare so the less-conscientious workers might get in gear. This probably works to some degree, but they could do it a lot more subtly, and giving students pet-fears for the rest of their school lives. The sinister tale we were told 5 years ago of the straight-A student who never got into university because - and I quote - 'he wasn't interesting enough' disconcerted me right up until I got my place offers.

So, I still write about school for school-pupils so that they might learn of problems, disappointments, and events awaiting them, so they won't be shaken or caught unaware by them (which does happen, believe me); it's also so they can defend themselves from scaremongering teachers. I know that my reader-base is very small, and perhaps only one or two people would benefit from the things I've written on before, but I want to do my bit for the children, if only out of respect for them.

Now that you know why I like to write regarding school, I encourage you to read up on those essays of mine (over on the right) - it's all my scope on school, using events from my school life as the basis.
 

|

Brins would appreciate it if you didn't swear in your comments




<< Home

About

Brins' Profile

E-mail Brins

--------------------------------------

BROWSE CURRICULUM

• April 2004
• May 2004
• June 2004
• July 2004
• August 2004
• September 2004
• October 2004
• November 2004
• December 2004
• January 2005
• February 2005
• March 2005
• April 2005
• May 2005
• June 2005
• July 2005
• August 2005
• September 2005
• October 2005
• November 2005
• December 2005
• January 2006
• February 2006
• March 2006
• April 2006
• May 2006
• June 2006
• September 2006
• March 2007
• June 2025


--------------------------------------

For School Pupils:

• Working with UCAS - S6 University applicants

• The truth of S6 - S6

• Shock therapy - S5 and below

• Revision Planning - S3 and up

--------------------------------------

LINKS

Rob on the net - Recommended by Brins

Talk to Rob - Chat with Robonthenet's Rob!

Walton Dell - Abandoned cottage in the woods

Omnicron RPG - free, downloadable game

--------------------------------------

Philosphers
(why is this bit still here?)

• Plato

• Descartes

• Locke

• Berkeley

--------------------------------------

Challenges:

• Dr. Wily's Revenge

• Brins' Identity

• Pirate Phrase Bonanza

Hall Of Fame

*tumbleweed rolls by*

--------------------------------------

Site Feed

Comment system supplied by Haloscan

Site Meter

(Thanks also go to Air for the site meter, commenting system and customised archive)